JOIN THE FULL-TIME CAMP PHOENIX TEAM
Dedicate your professional skills and background to promoting the camp phoenix mission.
As we expand as an organization, we are seeking to hire full time employees, who can leverage their backgrounds and expertise to drive us forward. We are currently hiring for the following:
Development Director / BAY AREA, CA
Camp Phoenix is a 501(c)(3) non-profit empowering low-income youth through academics and outdoor education to become leaders within their communities. We transform summers for Bay Area middle-schoolers most in need through a 3-week, overnight summer immersion program that blends outdoor camp with the rigors of exploratory learning. Campers continue to engage in outdoor and social-emotional learning through our year-round weekend excursions. Our youth make critical academic gains in the out-of-school months, while also learning about their power to affect positive change for themselves, the community and environment.
Camp Phoenix is at an exciting time in its organizational history. We’re poised to expand to two summer immersion sessions with outstanding program results and a proven need in the community. Studies from John Hopkins University and other research institutions show that on average, low-income youth lose two months of learning during the summer due to a lack of learning opportunities. At Camp Phoenix, campers show growth of over 2 months of learning during our 21-day program that combines math, science and reading with the magic of summer camp. 100% of our middle-schoolers come from Title 1 schools, and 85% of their families make less than $35k each year. We fill an important gap in these youths lives as only 18% of families report having affordable summer learning options for their kids without Camp Phoenix.
This “Camp Phoenix Phamily” is resourceful, passionate, joyful, talented, and accustomed to working relentlessly and resourcefully to make camp happen each year. We come with a close-knit community of volunteers, families, kids, teachers, and others who are “ride or die” for our work and mission. The Development Director will have an incredible opportunity to make an immediate, tangible difference in kids lives and our organization's sustainability. This role is for someone who is stoked about leading strategy at the organization-wide level, smashing goals out of the park, and rolling their sleeves up to create a long-lasting organization. Joining the Camp Phoenix team is a clear opportunity for those excited by innovation, leadership, and mission-driven work.
As the Development Director for Camp Phoenix, you will be responsible for:
- Driving Camp Phoenix’s overall development strategy for foundations, events, individual, corporate, and local businesses, with the goal of more than tripling yearly income and significantly increasing multi-year commitments to meet expansion goals to serve 150 youth.
- Building relationships with foundations, businesses, key individuals, and other like-minded organizations in and around the Bay Area to further Camp Phoenix’s organizational goals and opportunities for campers
- Through creation of multiple media, communicating clearly and compellingly about the need for Camp Phoenix’ mission and strategic imperatives, including our expansion goals and financial needs.
- Managing development data and daily operations, as well as providing support to the Executive Director for special projects
Jacqueline Soohoo, Executive Director, Camp Phoenix
Foundations, Individual Giving, and Business Partnerships (65%)
- Launch a bold and ambitious strategy to more than triple Camp Phoenix’s yearly income through foundations, individual giving, corporate and local businesses, with an emphasis on multi-year relationships
- Oversee communication strategy, including creation of collateral materials for outreach, as well as regular organizational updates and thank yous
- Attend events to network with prospective individuals, foundations and businesses. Secure meetings and presentations with prospective donors to effectively communicate Camp Phoenix’s work and opportunity for partnership.
- Research and write grants to secure grant funding.
- Secure in-kind donations for Camp Phoenix’s summer and year-round programs.
Event Management (25%)
- Determine strategy and oversee seamless execution of logistics for events, including Camp Phoenix’s Annual Fundraiser, meeting targets for increased events engagement and fundraising
- For all events, delegate and/or personally own responsibilities for materials production, vendor communication, Program logistics, Board/Committee/Volunteer coordination, RSVP tracking, day-of event production, and event follow-up.
- Research and secure in-kind donations for events from local businesses and individuals
- Ensure effective data operations for events, including guest, donor and prospect data for better future prospecting and donor retention
Development Operations and Office Management (10%)
- Ensure accurate and timely upkeep of all donor data, including gifts, acknowledgements, relationships and actions, conducting audits, and generating reports that illustrate progress on development strategies.
- Draft and coordinate donor and prospect correspondence and prepare reports/materials for meetings with Board members and other stakeholders.
- Create marketing materials for prospective donors, Board members, Committee members, other stakeholders
- Support Executive Director with special projects and ensure Executive Director is exceptionally prepared for meetings with stakeholders and donors.
- Natural leader. Compelling communicator to both individual audiences and large audiences. Ability to quickly build and maintain relationships with diverse constituents
- 3 + years in development or related field with demonstrated experience in organization-wide strategy and fundraising, as well as project and data management skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- An ambitious goal-setter. Resourceful and goal-driven self-starter, with an ability to thrive in a start-up culture and hit the ground running
- Organized and systematic in managing multiple relationships, projects and priorities.
- Ability to manage up, down and laterally, and to utilize time effectively to achieve goals in a small organization.
- A genuine passion for Camp Phoenix’s mission, core values, work with youth, and goals for expansion.
- Knowledge of the Bay Area education community and relationships with funders.
Full Time Salary: DOE